Regius Professor of Physic

Sir George Paget, Physician at Addenbrooke's in the 19th century,  was appointed the Regius Professor of Physic (RPP) in 1872. The Regius Professorship’s are Royal professorships created by the reigning monarch.  In 1540 Henry VIII created five chairs which are sometimes called the Henrician Regius Professors. The first Regius Professor was John Blyth. He was …

Continue reading Regius Professor of Physic

Brief History of Addenbrooke’s Hospital and its connection with the University Clinical School

Dr John Addenbrooke left in his will of 1720 about £4,500 to build and fit up a building for a hospital in Cambridge.  The hospital erected on Trumpington Street; was one of the first voluntary hospitals for the poor.  It opened on 13th October 1766 with just 20 beds in two wards.  To attend the …

Continue reading Brief History of Addenbrooke’s Hospital and its connection with the University Clinical School