Renal Transplant and Dialysis Unit

The Annual Report of 1965-1966 reported that work had commenced on the establishment of a Renal Transplant and Dialysis Unit at Douglas House under the direction of Professor Roy Calne, who was appointed to the Chair of Surgery in October 1965.  ‘The treatment now available in this unit has not previously been provided in Cambridge …

Continue reading Renal Transplant and Dialysis Unit

Brief History of Addenbrooke’s Hospital and its connection with the University Clinical School

Dr John Addenbrooke left in his will of 1720 about £4,500 to build and fit up a building for a hospital in Cambridge.  The hospital erected on Trumpington Street; was one of the first voluntary hospitals for the poor.  It opened on 13th October 1766 with just 20 beds in two wards.  To attend the …

Continue reading Brief History of Addenbrooke’s Hospital and its connection with the University Clinical School